|Welcome to the Othello Neighborhood Association (ONA). click here to read about ONA's most recent topics of interest.
We are a neighborhood group located in SE Seattle (Rainier Valley). ONA focuses on issues that impact our neighborhood's quality of life, whether that be public safety, transportation, zoning, development or other matters. We are also the steward group of the Othello Neighborhood Plan, formally known as the MLK@Holly Neighborhood Plan.
For near a decade, this neighborhood group has been meeting. Many members of ONA, though, have lived in this area and have been active in supporting this community for over 35 years. Our long time residents offer a wealth of information about the historical transformations of our business district, Othello Park, the property owned by Seattle Housing Authority and residential neighborhoods.
We hope you will come to ONA meetings in the future and find opportunity to learn more about your neighborhood and connect with the diverse people, businesses and activities offered here.
In the past and recently, here are a few accomplishments of ONA...
- Influenced Safeway Grocery Store to continue serving the community instead of consolidating their operations to only the Rainier Avenue stores in the valley.
- Contributed to increasing safety in Othello Park in working with the City of Seattle Parks Department in the redesign of the park lighting (yet to be installed).
- Celebrated Othello Neighborhood during the weekend of the Light Rail grand opening, with a large community organized festival. The event goal was to bring public awareness to Light Rail patrons of the amenities this community has to offer.
- Worked with residents, property owners, business and public servants to eradicate a local nuisance that had been contributing to increased litter, break-ins and sleepless nights for a 9 month time period.
Some of the topics we have discussed at our meetings this past twelve months have been the following...
Puget Sound Regional Council (and the collaborative efforts with the City of Seattle Council and Mayor)
- Othello Park safety, lighting, grant money and levy funds
- International Council of Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI)
- Bike lanes, automobile lane changes and lane eliminations in the city
- Seattle Police Department
- Dept of Planning and Development-rezoning, redirection of traffic, residential drainage problems
- Seattle Public Schools and education